So when I was interviewing for my current job, I was also interviewing for another job (not to be named). On paper the other job was the obvious choice: longer contract, slightly higher pay, etc. But everything was still in the same ball-park as what they were proposing here. But a big part of me was hoping that I wouldn't be offered the other job so I wouldn't have to choose.
You see, during the interview the librarians at this particular firm went on at length about how much that they liked to work hard and put in long hours even on evenings and weekends. They genuinely seemed happy at the thought of 60 hour weeks for 40 hours worth of pay and disapointed that they don't get that opportunity all the time. When I interviewed for this records management position the same sort of story was told: not enough resources, high demands, work hard, sometimes long hours. The difference was that the interviewer didn't sound like he liked that part of the job and wasn't trying to sell me on the position based on how hard I would be allowed to work.
So the culture seemed like a better fit here and I got lucky and they didn't offer me the other job.
My suspicions were confirmed on my first day on the job. The fridge in the lunch room has those random word-magnets for constructing poetry. On my first day it read:
"I worship the darkness
and am consumed with desire
You want me."
Today when I was looking at the in-house coffee options, I noticed that the last line had been changed to:
"Me want you"
A bit more informal and puckish than most offices.
Cheers
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment