Sunday, March 04, 2007

Strange Weather

Last night was a total lunar eclipse. We had a perfect view here in Halifax. The kids and I stood out on the driveway and watched the last 15 minutes movement towards totality. We watched the last one 2 1/2 years ago in Ottawa and it was rather lovely. I'm not an avid stargazer so the emotional impact is mostly lost on me, even though I understand the science. It looks unusual, but not it doesn't inspire that much awe. My loss.

I was, however, thinking about how much awe this sort of thing used to inspire in people in earlier times. It was a sign of significant goings on in the realms of the gods, and a portent of things to come in the realm of humans.

I couldn't help thinking about this again when a massive lightning storm hit the city in the middle of the night. I've never seen winter lightning before, so to me it is more unusual than a lunar eclipse.

I'm waiting for another fish to fall from the sky today.

Cheers

No comments: