While doing a haphazard search for information about how the Thibault's came to Scotland I found this interesting bit of trivia.
"In 911 Rollo the Ganger, often acknowledged as a werewolf or giant, signed a treaty with the French king Charles the Simple which gave birth to the Duchy of Normandy. From these norsemen came the Germanic surname Talabert, meaning “bright valley”. Though it has not yet been verified, it is believed this may also be the origin of the French Thibault family, which in 1780 produced the werewolf written about by Alexandre Dumas in his story “The Wolf Leader”. It is very much worth noting that another surname originating from Normandy, Saint-Clair / Sinclair, has a number of prominent lycanthropic branches throughout Europe and North America."
Incidentally, I also have Sinclairs in my family tree.
Another thing that I found out was that all of those Counts of Champagne and Kings of Navarre named Theobald are known as Thibault in French. The first was, of course, Theobald I (1201-1253) and was variously known by the epithets The Troubadour, The Chansonnier, and The Posthumous.
Hmmn, sort of thins out at the end there a little.
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment