Friday, August 24, 2007

The first last thing

I know that I have done many things for the last time before we leave Halifax. If the weather stays this way, I will have had my last swim in Chocolate Lake a few weeks ago. I doubt that we will have time to go out to Clam Harbour or Lawrencetown Beach again before we blow town.

But on Wednesday we had our last bonfire in the neighbours' back yard and I knew that it was the last from the get-go. Because it was intentional and fun it really did feel like the first last thing I would do in Halifax. At least as a citizen or resident. I know that most people still consider me to be from away. And I am, again.

Cheers

PS An older gentleman in the mall parking lot was asking about my car. I guess people do that with shiny red cars. I answered a few of his questions and thanked him for his compliments. Then he said, "So, how long have you been here in this country?" I didn't know what he meant. Did he mean it in the colloquial sense of "Here in God's country" or "lobster country" or somesuch, or did he mean it in the political sense of Canada. I didn't answer him, I'm moving soon anyway.

MT

No comments: